stories are told
songs are sung
whiskey is drunk.
but when the night
stories are told
i resist the urge every year around this time to delete all my early posts, only because they're an indicator of what a pure idiot i was. (i guess, in seven years, i'll look back at this post and think the same thing about this one as well.)
anyway, it has been a phenomenal seven years. more specifically, it has been a pretty spectacular last year.
in sum, my learnings for this blog year come (as usual and unsurprisingly) from the sunscreen song:
1. be kind to your knees, you'll miss them when they're gone. (i understood this while mine collapsed under all my excessive weight and sudden jogging habits early last year.)
2. understand that friends come and go but for the precious few you should hold on to. (this learning came to me during a mid-afternoon hangover under a neem tree, while two of my closest friends drilled me on the meaning of life. ps. hi m! glad you found my blog. :| )
3. don't be reckless with other people's hearts, don't put up with people who are reckless with yours. (...)
4. ..or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as solving algebra by chewing bubblegum. (algebra doesn't get solved by chewing bubblegum. another thing i tried this year.)
5. don’t mess too much with your hair, or by the time you're 40, it will look 85. (hello, longest hair ever! also, hello egg-white treatments and avoiding expensive keratin ones.)
otherwise, i sing (a lot), dance (in the shower, occasionally), stretch (ha!), travel (um), get plenty of calcium.
happy seventh birthday blog!
pale the wall.
love moves away.
the light changes.
i need more grace
than i thought.
- rumi, translated by coleman barks, emphasis mine.
if i keep taking the high road all the time, i might just fall off. bah.
It was in a rickshaw in Old Delhi last week after a meal mostly made of kababs and naan, and a conversation about music, love and breaking up that someone told me this.
"Never have a girl friend who is in love with the Beatles."